Friday, July 29, 2011

Obsessions.

I've found it. 
Inspiration to blog I mean. 
I have had the hardest time in the world having the motivation to blog ever since I found myself with no job, no school, and all the time in the world. 
Backwards right? 
Today I am attempting to get some work done that my Dad is paying me to do for him so that I can pay the bills and buy things like ten packs of pasta for five dollars (I dream big) and triple chunk brownie mix to replace the one I accidentally ate of Bj's when he left his at my house. (his fault) 
Anyways, nothing makes me want to blog more than actually having something better to do, so here I am, writing away for an audience that will not pay me rather than for a father who will. 
(Unless everyone wants to chip in. Am I right? I mean...right?) 

This has been a summer of obsessions. 
If you know me, you know that this has also been a lifetime problem, me obsessing over things, but we are just going to focus on the past three months and leave out the time I was obsessed with the footlong meatball from Subway or that whole "Improv Club" phase.

Obsession #1: Bees. 
This is real. 
Me: "Oh hey my friend Mindy from work. Thanks for having me over for lunch. I'm expecting a normal day here at your house." 
Mindy: "Only if a normal day is putting on my professional bee-keeping equipment and standing between two beehives, calling the little creatures into your arms like a bee-goddess from the wild."

Yeah, I wanted to do that.
So we did.
It was one of the most fascinating experiences of my life. Bees are such incredible animals. 
Ever since then, every time I see a bee, I feel like cuddling it into my little hands and promising it chocolate and flowers every Valentine's Day and that I will do the dishes every other night and most Sundays if we can just spend some time together and be in love.
It's really serious.

Obsession #2: Fireworks
I have always loved fireworks. Everyone does right?
But this summer I have had the chance to see 6 or 7 really good firework shows and I have become addicted.
The trick is to live in Northern Utah.
Here's how it goes
Sometime in March every year all the churro companies around here get together and sneak caffeine into all the small-town mayors drinks and then convince them to rotate holding festivals every weekend for the whole summer.
Seeing as how this is their yearly dose of anything stronger than pink grapefruit flavored Airborne, they all get really tipsy and somehow see this conglomeration of festivals as necessary.
The exception is the Spanish Fork mayor who is obviously given something a little stronger than caffeine and takes things well over the line from fruit-themed carnivals (Strawberry Days, Peach Days, Etc.) and holds Llama Fest at a Krishna Temple.

Truth be told, they can hold a festival in honor of Kim Jong Il and I'm still going to attend, as long as there is fireworks.
 Here is a picture from the St. George 4th of July fireworks. That bright ball of flames at the bottom is the waterfall of fireworks they have shot off the red hill every year since I can remember.
Every year everything catches on fire.
Every year there are plenty of firetrucks nearby and the burn is incredibly controlled.
And every year there is a woman on the sidewalk next to me on the phone with some city official who is calmly explaining to her that the city is, in fact, aware that fire burns things.

Obsession #3: Baby Carlos
I know I've talked a lot about my best friend Jenna who was pregnant and then who gave birth and then, as a direct result of the previous two conditions, now has a child.
But that doesn't mean I don't push "publish post" and then proceed to drool for the next hour over pictures of him and his soft head of gorgeous hair and his little hands and feet and how darling he is when he yawns.
I have a serious baby crush.
When I was at home a few weeks ago I would try my hardest to go do things with other friends.
I would be on my way to Durangos or Iceberg to meet up with people and somehow I would be suddenly pulling into Jenna's driveway and holding her baby before I knew what hit me.
That kid is a magnet and I am...an opposing magnet.
I almost said refrigerator but I didn't feel good about comparing myself to a large, food-filled item on my own blog. 

Because there isn't much to say after those darling pictures of the most perfect baby I will have to leave it at that and get back to "work" or as I like to call it "Pinterest."

I'll be in California for the next week but when I'm back I should have more work so expect more posts. 
Naturally. 
Love, 
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment