Thursday, July 7, 2011

For: Denise/Ron (for whining about not being in my blog)

GOD BLESS AMERICA. 
My 4th of July was the best ever. (there I go again with superlatives, and now I'm going to make some sort of claim about how I mean it this time.) 
I do! It's true! It was! 

We kicked things off at Grandma Wade's. For those of you who are new to my blog, new to my life, new to Grandma Wade, or all of the above, let me fill you in. 
In the world of Grandma Wade every day is a holiday and every holiday is the most important day in the existence of this whole world. 
Costumes. 
Themed name cards. 
Programs  on every table with hour by hour schedules. 
Actual programs. (I'm talking sit in a circle, share your talents particular to the holiday, hold hands, stop giving wet-willie's to your little brother...)
The works. 
It's the best. (See picture below) 
 Seeing as how I love America more than I love giving wet-willie's to my little brother (so gross, but so funny, I'm 22 years old), I really enjoyed the program.
 I even recited "The New Colossus," which is the poem found on the statue of liberty that I memorized in 9th grade. (okay, so our family forgot to plan our part of the program.) 
However, seeing as how all good things must come to an end, it was eventually time to leave the family festivities and head to the friend festivities. 
After convincing a few people to be my friend, and then paying them an extra $5 to hold festivities, I had my parents thoroughly convinced that they could head on home and skip tucking me in that night. 
Of the bunch, Chad and I were the most obviously patriotic. 
(I am obviously wearing a heart-shaped American flag ring. Ten dollars to anyone who can spot the flag Chad is wearing.*) 
 (*I gave my last ten dollars to Chad to be in this picture with me.) 
Pictured below is my friends watching the fireworks and being really patriotic. 
 This is the truck that was parked next to us, also watching the fireworks. 
Despite our best efforts, there is no way we could have beat this man, his truck, or the handcuffs hanging from his mirror, in displaying small-town American pride. 
You win. You always do. 
 Day 1 of 4th of July just wasn't enough for us, so we pulled a Groundhog Day, woke up the next morning, and started the festivities all over again. 
I'm being serious
We really did that. 
Day 2 started off with a giant Slip n' Slide at the park. 
Though it may look like I am "tumbling" down, instead of sliding, the picture is deceiving, I am actually just sliding down on my toes, and...I'm blurry. 
 After a few rounds of human bowling and Devin throwing out his back, we called it a day and went over to Tyler Carlson's for a barbecue and fireworks. 
I spent a while sitting in his living room until someone asked me why I was "shimmying" in the recliner. (It was a massage chair, but not everyone knew that. Jokes on me.)  
Then, we went out front to practice our spells. 

I killed Voldemort, or whatever. 
They actually made a movie about it. 
It's coming out July 15th if you want to go see it. 
Oh and roman candle wars are really fun. 
This country really knows how to celebrate. 
Dare I say it again? 
God Bless America. 
Love, 
Katie 

No comments:

Post a Comment